Tuesday 11 January 2011

Careful What you Wish For...

"Everything that you wanted I have done. You asked that child be taken, I took him. You cowered before me and I was frightening. I have reordered time, I have turned the world upside down, and I have done it all for you! I am exhausted from living up to your expectations of me. Isn't that generous?"

Jareth the Goblin King

There I was, minding my own business, eating some food and it struck me that sometime life, or reality, or the big bearded bastard in the sky, or the pointy bearded one in the flaming abyss, maybe they really do listen.

Careful what you wish for?

I'm feeling pretty happy with the way things appear to be heading at the moment, as if someone just decided to check the schedule and saw that, okay, it's this guy's turn to get a big helping of sprinkles on his icecream. But on reflection dreams don't come true in a snap, as if some fantastical tight-trousered spirit summoned them into being. But they do turn your whole world upside first. They have to tear things down, potentially tearing away comfortable surroundings and taken-for-granted cornerstones. They take the pain-stakingly built Lego construction of your life and reduce them to handfulls of multi coloured bricks.

Because if you're going to build your dreams up sometimes you need to get back to the basics. And work from the blocky green ground up.

I don't know if it's all worth it. I don't know if the dreams I've had in the past have been realistic or not. But many have come true, if broken down to the very basics of what I've wanted. And sometimes it feels like crawling over broken glass to find that one shining crystal of dream, of hope, of wonder.

But shining crystals are cool.

Dreams are cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment